Monsoon makes it a herculean task for all the homemakers out there to accomplish an immaculate scullery. Let’s amaze our neighbors with an enviable view of our kitchenette. And with the pandemic around, a scrupulously clean kitchen is an indispensable demand for a healthy lifestyle as well as to ward off the germs which easily makes way into our breadbasket in no time.
Here are some useful tips to help maintain a clean and sparkling kitchen
- Mold is a common sight in Vadodara during monsoons. Unfortunately, kitchens with poor ventilation and water leakage are more prone to mold growth. It can be removed by adding one-quarter of a tablespoon of baking soda to a spray bottle of water and shake until it has dissolved. Spray the moldy area with the baking soda and water solution, then use a scrub brush to remove mold from the surface. Next, rinse the surface with water to remove any residue and baking soda. Finally, spray the area again and let the surface dry without wiping. This will kill any left-over mold and help prevent the mold from returning.
- Cutting boards are breeding grounds for germs if not cleaned properly. Here’s a trick: Immediately after your cooking work, spread some salt on the cutting board. Use a half-cut lemon and scrub it on the board. Squeeze the lemon and scrub well. Keep the board with lemon and salt spread over for 5 mins. Wash off with hot water.
- Contemporary time has made us so used to this kitchen gadget that within no time it has become the most useful kitchen appliance. By now, you must have guessed it right….yes! it’s the “Microwave.” It too needs to get tidy once a week. Take a bowl of water with a spoonful of lemon juice and leave it on for five minutes. After the microwave stands, wipe it off with a clean cloth. This will not only clean your microwave but also eliminate odour.
- Silicon packets can be placed near kitchen gadgets in order to prevent moisture.
- The protection of electrical appliances and wires are quite vital during the monsoon. We should have a regular check into the electronic items in our household.
- Regular mopping of the kitchen floor is mandatory as it reduces the settling of dust particles which might lead to the growth of bacteria faster during the monsoons. Using cleaners based on citrus bio enzymes helps keep surfaces clean naturally.
- A dash of castor oil into the pulses container can ward off insects as well as it might keep the dough moisture-free.
- Ants being the major cause of concern can be bugged away if two or three onion balls are placed under the tube lights.
- Ensure drying the spices and pulses under the sun before enclosing them in jars that will protect them from moisture and fungal damage. Keep the kitchen well-ventilated at all times.
- Maintenance of the refrigerator is a basic necessity to enhance hygiene in our kitchen. You can always clean it using baking soda and lukewarm water. Do not forget to unplug the fridge plug before cleaning it. Besides, try not to overload your fridge with too many things!
- Daily cleaning of your gas cooktop after you are done with cooking is imperative. Please do not be lazy in doing that as that will give shelter to unwanted insects and most prominently the cockroaches who won’t be missing the golden chance.
- Last but not least! Your kitchen sink needs to be cleaned regularly to avoid clogging and plumbing issues. After washing your utensils, you can scrub off the kitchen sink to clear the sticky grease and food stains from the sink. Using white vinegar and baking powder for cleaning the sink seems to be quite effective.